Research on Alpha-1 is funded through a number of federal programs, including the National Institutes of Health and its institutes such as:
- The National Heart Lung and Blood Institute
- National Human Genome Research Institute
- National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
- National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
- Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center (GARD)
- National Institute of Nursing Research
Other sources of funding including industry support, private donors and organizations such as the Alpha-1 Foundation, American Lung Association, Foundation of the American Thoracic Society, Chest Foundation, the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases, and the American Liver Foundation.
The Alpha-1 Foundation has partnered with each of these organizations, and the National Institutes of Health, to offer matching grants for research on Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency.