Find an Alpha-1 Specialist

Alpha-1 Doctor

Finding an “Alpha doc” — a doctor who is knowledgeable about Alpha-1 — can be a challenge sometimes. This page can help.

Clinical Resource Centers (CRCs) are located throughout North America and specialize in patient care, education and research for those with Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency (Alpha-1). Some centers treat lung disease and others liver disease. Many have other resources for Alphas, such as support groups, pulmonary rehabilitation and organ transplant programs.

Contact the center nearest you for information. When you call, please tell the doctor or the person you speak with in the doctor’s office that you were referred by the Alpha-1 Foundation Clinical Resource Center Program.

Note that information on Clinical Resource Centers is reported by the centers themselves and the Alpha-1 Foundation cannot formally recommend or endorse any individual physician. Each center must meet certain criteria in order to be listed as a CRC through the Foundation.

Please report any errors or outdated information about Clinical Resource Centers to Kathy Welch at or call 1 (877) 228-7321 Ext. 275. Physicians who would like to be considered as a Clinical Resource Center should contact Kathy Welch for information on how to apply.


Need help getting to the doctor?

The Alpha-1 Foundation offers Alphas help with travel expenses to visit CRC doctors familiar with Alpha-1.

Click on your state below to find the closest Alpha-1 Specialist to you.

For a Canadian CRC, click here.